Tuesday 18 February 2014

CUP’O JOE

“Coffee is far more than a beverage. It is an invitation to life, disguised as a cup of warm liquid. It’s a trumpet wake-up call or a gentle rousing hand on your shoulder…Coffee is an experience, an offer, a rite of passage, a good excuse to get together.”

I am in LOVE with this quote that I found whilst lurking through tumblr last week. I don’t have a source though so if anyone can help me out on that – please do!

It’s no secret that I love coffee. The smell, the taste, how happy it makes me, mmmm! Jeremy and I work it into every weekend and are trying to squeeze it into our weekdays too. I really do treat it as an experience; it’s a little break for me, a breath.
Perth has turned me into a bit of a coffee snob though. A SMALL coffee over here will cost minimum of at least $3.50. So if I am going to pay that much, I make sure that it’s a good one.
In saying that, Perth is absolutely pumping with amazing coffee and brunch spots so I thought I would share my favourites, should you ever find yourself on the West Coast!
UNCLE JOES
I spam these guys on Instagram quite regularly. Sorry! They are conveniently located across the road from work and serve my favourite coffee in the CBD. They use Micrology beans and the blend is super smooth with a little bitter bite at the end.
They also have a great menu and the cutest little cake collection on the front counter (earl grey cupcakes <3). They also have best raw balls ever! If that doesn’t pull you, the space is amazing too.




COOKIE DOUGH
This is my new little local. It started out in East Freo but they have recently opened up in Claremont. It is tiny and bright and fresh with lots of ply coloured timber and concrete – perfect. Their cookies are also ridiculously yummy. They are fat and soft and with a great list of flavours. They do light lunches and breakky (chia pudding YUMMM). They are the newbies on the block and set up RIGHT next to Typika who are artisan roasters and 5x as big. I was actually really worried that they were going to struggle but Cookie Dough are packed out every Saturday.




TYPIKA ARTISAN ROASTERS
As I said, my local before Cookie Dough showed up. It is still probably one of my favourite spots for breakfast. I think Perth should be really proud to have Typika. I absolutely froth over the interior. I have actually been trying to discover who did the fitout because it is crazy good. Their menu is also next level (French toast with salted caramel sauce with bacon and banana.. HI!) It changes seasonally so they really showcase the produce. These guys roast their own beans inhouse and it is a good cup of coff!





THE DAILY ESPRESSO
Cute little hole in the wall place in Swanny. Often grab a coffee here on a Saturday or Sunday morning and it is always packed to the max. With good reason of course. Again, super friendly staff and a good assortment of easy to grab pastries and muffins. Even when it is pumping, they get orders out quick and you never have to wait too long.
STUDIO BOMBA
I wish I worked here. Studio bomba is the cutest little co-op that houses the creatives of Studio Papa, has an amazing range of homewares, stationary, magazines, jewellery and also serves killer coffee and the sweetest treats.  It was here that I first tried Tales of a Kitchen raw macarons. The staff here are so lovely and so welcoming – I never really want to leave. The interior is bang on too -white with copper and cement. A lot of the materials they used are recycled which make it twice as nice. When I first found Studio Bomba, I didn’t really want to share it with anyone else as I wanted to keep it as a secret spot. It is up the other end of Oxford Street in Leederville, up past the TAFE. Definitely worth the extra 2 min drive!





MARY STREET BAKERY
Oh the reasons that I love thee:
    1. you have a fluorescent pink sign
    2.  you have the best baked goods section EVER
    3. you make cute dippy eggs
I love love love it here! Brought to us from the same crew that does el Publico and ACE pizza (these guys rule), Mary Street Bakery is nestled nicely on the corner of Beaufort street and Mary street. Their breakky menu is good, but if like me, you have a real sweet tooth, venture inside and have a look at all the baked stuff. My mouth literally waters. Their coffee is great, but I do find that I need to specify that it’s hot otherwise it can tend to come out warmish. They do outdoor seating too which means Lola can join in, bring the pooches!







































FELIX & CO
This one is a little gem! You’ll find it on Broadway in Nedlands, (Attn. UWA kids). It’s only little but I literally ate one of the best chocolate croissants of my life here! The coffee was great too and the staff are super friendly.
BREAD IN COMMON
Possibly my favourite café fit out in Perth. It’s on trend and it oozes cool. And everyone knows and thus the lines are huge. Boo.
No, it’s really not that bad. Unless you want a group bigger than two haha. Then you will find yourself waiting. I have only had a sit down breakfast here once but it was really good. I had quinoa bircher – YUM. This was when it had just opened so service was a little bit rocky and coffees came out after our food, even though we ordered them first… Once it came though, the coff was goooood! It is a little pricey but then they get away with it. The bread is the real star here, I have tried the wholemeal sourdough and the fruit loaf and both are mouth wateringly, eat most of it in the car on the way home good!










































ROASTING WAREHOUSE
Di Bella Roasting Warehouse is already located in Melbourne and Sydney and now they have been brought to Perth.  Still a bit of a newbie so you do need to wait for a table if coming after 9am. It moves fast though and the longest I’ve had to wait  is 10-15 mins. The site was an old service station that has been reinterpreted into an open plan fitout -another trendy spot for Freo. One of my favourite things about the Roasting Warehouse is the prices – they seem to have kept them close to that of Melb and Syd so noteably cheaper than what you will usually find in Perth yay! And for premium coffee too. Finally!




So there you go- there are more but these are ma faves! Sorry for the essay. Did I mention I like coffee?

(images all from my instagram @lana_lola)

No comments:

Post a Comment